Sweet Potato Banoffee Pie
150g unsalted butter, melted
1 x pkt chocolate biscuits
150g peeled hazelnuts, roughly chopped (100g for base & 50g for topping)
1 large sweet potato
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg, for grating
1 tbs brown sugar
500ml thickened cream
50g quality dark chocolate
2 x tins condensed milk (boiled for 4hrs)
1. Before making make sure you have your condensed milk tins boiled for minimum of 4hrs in a pot of water (topping water regularly to keep them immersed under water – then cool caramel to room temp
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC & grease line a loose bottom tart tin & line 2 flat trays
3. Slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 cm rounds & place on 2 roasting trays and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil & sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt, then toss to coat well – Roast for 10 minutes or until golden and soft in centre but still holding its shape – allow to cool
4. Blitz the biscuits and add 100g of the hazelnuts in a food processor into crumbs, then stir into the melted butter.
5. Tip the biscuit mixture into the tart tin, spreading evenly and pushing it into base and sides. Place in the freezer to firm up for 10 minutes.
6. Spread the cooled caramel over the biscuit base
7. Layer the sweet potato slices over the caramel
8. Toast the remaining hazelnuts in a frying pan over a high heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden – allow to cool
9. Whip the cream into soft peaks & spread over the sweet potato
10. Sprinkle over hazelnuts & grate over the chocolate
11. Place in fridge for at least 2hrs before slicing
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!